03.25.13

Dear You,

I figured it was time to write to you again. I know it has been a while and I think you may be forgetting some of the things I said to you in my first letter. I understand, though. I know that it can be easy to forget. I do it myself sometimes.

But I want you to, please, never forget how wonderful you are. Even on the days you don't feel it, or don't believe it, you have to just trust me. There will be days when your reason seems to have slipped away and those are the days you cannot rely on your own mind. You simply mustn't. On those days, I want you to listen to people like me, or the other people that love you (and I know there are many, even when you can't recall them), and you have to make your brain focus in on the knowledge that you are loved, and that it will all be okay. Because that is something that I can promise you. It will be okay. You will be okay.

I know it may hurt sometimes. I've been there, believe it or not. I've felt the rain like knives hitting skin, and felt the hurricane winds hit the candle-flame of the fragile soul. I know how unlivable it seems when you are in the midst of trial and heartbreak. And don't think that I'm telling you to minimize your pain, because that is equally unhelpful. Don't do that. I'm saying that in the midst of the ache, the heartbreak, the sleepless and tear-stained nights... just hold on. I know that is so hard, but you really can do it. And my hand is here, extended. Reach out and take hold. I won't let go of you.

Make sure you are taking care of yourself physically, too, okay? Get some sleep every night (two or four hours simply won't cut it), take your pills as they are prescribed, eat healthy, and eat daily even when food itself sounds repulsive. Exercise because it is good for you, even when every step you take seems to weigh a thousand pounds. Read and pray and write and create and breathe. Just breathe.

Ultimately, I just want you to be happy. I want the sun to shine on your face, the rain fall soft and cleanse your soul. I want you to love and be loved in return. To have the courage to speak truth, even if your voice shakes. To be brave, but to recognize that it takes courage to accept help when you need it. I want you to take time to look at the stars and breathe in the warm spring breeze, or the chill of a fresh snow. I want you to look with glittering eyes at the world around you, because there is much to be discovered. And I want you to cherish the moments. Because that's what this world is really all about.

This life is a string of moments, back to back to back, and you get to choose which ones you make count more than the others. Please pick the good ones.

Always remember to love yourself, and if you happen to stumble, then just make it part of the dance.

I know it's hard. But know that there are risks worth taking, people worth loving, and experiences you don't want to miss out on. This world is ugly but, oh, it is beautiful.

I believe in you. I will always believe in you. Take my hand, and we can face this world together, you and I. I love you with a love beyond the moon and stars. You will make it. You will. And I'm here, riding this roller coaster of life with you. And that's what people do. We ride the roller coaster together, and we hold on to each other for dear life itself. We're gonna make it. We will. I pinky.

Love,

Me.

Comments

  1. I LOVE this! I really needed this today and didn't realize it until now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment