Will you?

So I am breaking my 'one post a day' thing... even though I never really was good at that. This makes up for one of the lazy days I suppose! I've been thinking on this for a while. But before I start, I want to make something really clear first. I am so imperfect. I mess up, and am human, and I am talking to myself here just as much as everyone else. And this is not easy for me either. But I think that together, we can do this.

Sometimes when I'm walking down the hallways at school, I have such a heavy heart. The kinds of conversations I hear, the things people choose to wear that portrays them in this awful way... it's all heartbreaking. But the thing that bothers me most? Not just the people that do all of this... but the people that do all of this, and then say that they are a Christian. Now, there's a difference between saying that you are a Christian, occasionally messing up, and then repenting, and saying you are a Christian and blatantly living in sin. This is the reason so many are turned off. They say that Christians are hypocrites. And you know what? For a lot of us, they aren't too far from the truth. I hadn't really thought too much about this until I was having a conversation with a lady whom I really respect, one of the 'Paul's' in my life. We were talking about how one day, we will not only be responsible for our actions, but also how our actions influence others. Does what we do point others to Christ or pull them away? That's a pretty scary statement to think about. It's almost like as a society we've accepted this extremely casual form of Christianity. This 'well, as long as I go to church, I'm okay' mentality. And NO! That's not what it's about! Church (and youth group) is a fabulous place to meet with other believers and grow with each other and encourage each other as you walk through life. But church should NOT be the defining thing in your Christian walk. Youth group should not define your Christianity. God should. His grace, and His power, and His forgiveness should be what drives you. The amazing love He had for us... enough love to send His only Son to bear the weight of all of our sins... that love should change us completely. That love and power... when we actually grab hold of it... should make us want to live a life of complete gratitude that absolutely points straight back to Him. It's a radical, life-altering, never-be-the-same-again kind of love. But instead, we fall into a habitual, hypocritical "religious" state, where we've decided to put our halo's on at church, and then live like the devil Monday through Saturday. It can't be like that. I'm so convinced that we make God so angry when we do this. He didn't send Jesus- His only Son, a part of Himself- to come and suffer in agony on a Cross so that we could be comfortable and live in our sin. If that's what you think salvation offers, you've missed it! It's SO much more than that! Jesus came and died so that we could have eternal life with Him. He knew how much we needed him, and how completely messed up we are. He knew that the only way we would ever truly be free was to be with Him. Doesn't that mean something? Shouldn't we do everything we can for Him? Without Jesus, I am nothing. My time on Earth is a blink in comparison with eternity. And we will all spend the rest of that time in one of two places. Which one will you decide?

I said in my post Stereotype (have you read it?) that I wanted to step away from the generalities that people place on teenagers. And that still holds true, especially when it comes to being complacent. I don't want to be average. I want to stand out... for the world to know I was here, that I made a difference. I want to make an impact... and I don't have to wait to do it. I don't have to be an adult to make things happen... I can make things happen right now, in my teenage years. We all can. Just think, what would happen if we all decided to stand up for what we believe in? To stand up for the weird kid, sit with the lonely kid, smile at the hurt one, and just love? Can you even imagine that impact?! We can change the world. So lets do it. Let's stop being like the world, settling for less than everything, and start living in the love that we're offered. Let's show the world that this thing is for real, and we aren't backing down. Let's stand for truth. Let's stand out, be different, and be trend setters. Let's show what it is to really have joy, and not just temporary happiness. Let's help the people that are so, so lost to fill that hole. Let's show the world the acceptance, love, generosity, and grace that we have received. Let's do it. Will you join me?

Love,
Legs♥

Comments

  1. This is beautiful, articulate, and true! Love it and love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment