Relay For Life

It's almost time for one of my absolute favorite times of the year: Relay for Life! I absolutely love being a part of Relay. It's a cause that means the world to me, and it's something I want to give all of my efforts to fight for. This year, I'm blessed by being able to see more of what all goes on "behind the scenes" as a co-captain of a team. Kate Shugar and myself are leading the Fred T. Foard team this year. It's quite an experience to get to see what all goes into the planning and the fundraising and so much more. It's a huge deal. And, I'm proud to say, we are one of, if not the only, student-led group! Kate and I have been attending monthly meetings since January. It's SO encouraging to me to see so many people willing to come together to fight for such an amazing cause. I honestly hope that one day, Relay won't be necessary. One day, Cancer will be gone. No one else will have to hear those horrible words 'you have cancer' ever again. What a day that will be!

As I stand here with Relay only 37 days away, and my own annual cancer testing beginning tomorrow, I'm reminded once again why we need to fight back. I watch my best friend, Sarah, fighting every single day (but she's almost there! Scans for her tomorrow! Kick it, Sarah!), and I'm amazed by her. She's a hero, and she's fought for her life. I look at kids like Vinny DiGerolamo, a 6 year old who has been fighting for most of the years he's been alive, and Kate Thornton, a sweet little girl with ALL. I watch them and I'm reminded, not only how much I have to be thankful for, but also big of a deal Relay for Life is. Relay is about raising money for kids just like them all over the world. It's more than just a fun event, or service hours. It's a chance to come together, even for one night, and fight against something that's taken so many lives. Cancer isn't a choosy disease. It doesn't care if you're rich or poor, famous or unknown, old or young. Cancer can hit anyone at any time. A WORLD WITH LESS CANCER IS A WORLD WITH MORE BIRTHDAYS. One more candle, one more present, one more day.



This is what I fight for. For all the people, no matter who they are, that have ever heard the words 'you have cancer'. For all the ones who have fought, and won! And for all those who lost their battle. But most importantly, I fight for those still fighting. For those still out there on the front lines, fighting for what so many take for granted: their own life.

The main purpose of Relay is to raise money for the American Cancer Society. They use this money in a variety of ways, including telephone services (help lines, information lines, etc), housing for cancer patients, and most importantly, cancer research. ACS has had a hand in just about every major cancer breakthrough in the last century. It's vital that we continue to help them with funding. If you can, PLEASE get involved in some way. There are so many ways you can be involved, from donating money, to just donating your time! If you would like to help but don't know how, please contact me! I'll be glad to help!

Catawba County's Relay for Life will be held on May 21st at Southside Park in Newton. Please come and join us as we Celebrate, Remember, and Fight Back. One World, One Hope. Together, we can do this. Together, lets create a world with More Birthdays!




Love,
Legs♥

Comments