2013 Survey!

1. What did you do in 2013 that you'd never done before?

I did a few things I'd never done before! I taught my very own group fitness class, I learned a lot about music, I met a ton of new people. I worked hard at the amazing opportunity to be drum major. I learned how to properly weight lift. I played racquet ball. I watched all 9 seasons of The Office. I kept track of every book I read. I loved harder than I ever had in the past.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I actually kind of did. My new years goals from last year were pretty generic, so it was not too terribly hard to better myself in some of the areas that I mentioned. But I'm actually really proud of myself and the strides I did make this year.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

I knew several people who had sweet little ones this year. I am so excited for them as they begin their own journeys!

4. Did anyone close to you die?

My heart was heavy for several who lost special ones this year. But they are getting to spend 2014 in heaven and that's pretty awesome.

5. What countries did you visit?

I stuck it out here in good ol' America. But next year... ENGLAND! :D

6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?

I want to strive to continue to be. I want to take leaps and be genuine and work hard. I want to fall in love with being alive and I want to give and serve and love more than ever before. I want to have a depth in relationships that I haven't had until now.

7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

January 13- Governor's Inaugural Parade
January 22- Maya Angelou came to Boone!
March 15- I decided to try again. I got hurt, but I proved to myself that I could love. I will love.
May 2- I got Drum Major!
June 1-8- Destin with the family!
July 5-13- Arnoldsburg!
July 27- Hickory flooded. Flooded in at Courtneys!
August 7- Moved back to Boone for band camp!
August 20- First day of sophomore year!
August 21- First cardio dance of the new semester!
September 4- Nana turns 90!!
September 7- My first game day as a drum major!
September 9- I found this quote: "I firmly believe in small gestures: pay for their coffee, hold the door for strangers, over tip, smile or try to be kind even when you don't feel like it, pay compliments, chase a kid's runaway ball down the sidewalk and throw it back to him, try to be larger than you are- particularly when it's difficult. People do notice, people appreciate. I appreciate it when it's done to (for) me. Small gestures can be an effort, or actually go against our grain ("I'm not a big one for paying compliments..."), but the irony is that almost every time you make them, you feel better about yourself. For a moment life suddenly feels lighter, a bit more Gene Kelly dancing in the rain."-Jonathan Carroll
September 28- Nana came to an App game!
October 13- Met Scotty McCreery at the App Game!


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

I think it would be learning how to become someone that I want to be. And learning how to give grace, and accept love and gratitude. Learning how to believe in myself and rely on myself and stand on my own two feet. Also, probably maintaining sanity and loving others through times when I didn't even feel like I was worthy of love.

9. What was your biggest failure?

I think probably not investing in things that are long lasting. I invested a lot in people, but I want 2014 to be more invested in giving and loving and living long term.


10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

I got sick PLENTY of times, but nothing too terribly serious. Hopefully, I won't have to worry about that one in 2014 either. Fingers crossed!

11. What was the best thing you bought?

Things for other people. Be it small gifts or meals or whatever, investing that into someone and letting them know that they are important to you is what matters!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

So many people. Those who faced some of the most difficult circumstances I could ever imagine and are still around to see 2014. Those who held me when I couldn't keep going on my own, and those who did amazing things and constantly decrease world suck. Those people deserve more than the world. I am so proud to say that I know them.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled?

It's sad how many people appall me. But. Humans are humans and sometimes we don't understand the promises we make when we make them. Being a human shouldn't be this difficult of a circumstance. Just be kind. It's not that hard.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Probably Comeback Shack. And really, Boone in general.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Spending time with my sweet family. My Nana's wonderful birthday. Every single time I was lucky enough to dance with my HG family, or my URec family. Learning ASL. Dinner with my wonderful friends. Moving in a positive direction.

16. What song will always remind you of 2013?

Stinking 'Wrecking Ball'. And not for good reasons. -____-

17. Compared to this time last year, are you (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer?

(a) MUCH much much much happier. Yayayayay! (b) slightly thinner. Moving in a positive direction! (c) Richer... I got a job! Haha.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?

Laughed. Spent more time doing things with people and making time for fun things in my life.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?

Stressed over school work. Stressed period. Worried. Let life pass without active engagement.

20. How did you spend Christmas?

With a lot of people in our house, which is nice. Good to feel the loving.

21. Did you fall in love in 2013?

I did. And out of love. I got hurt. But I learned how to love myself. And that's something that you can't put a price on.

22. What was your favorite TV program?

New Girl. The Office. SYTYCD

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't this time last year?

Nope. There are some people I don't really talk to much that I did this time last year. But that's okay with me. I don't hate, though. That crap will destroy you.

24. What was the best book you read?

The Fault in Our Stars will always be the best. But I read a ton of good books this year. If you need some recommendations, hit me up!

 25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Zac Brown's new album. Or The Script's new album.

26. What did you want and get?

I wanted to become a better version of myself. And here I am.

27. What did you want and not get?

To successfully learn a few lessons. But never fear. They are a work in progress.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?

Between Frozen and Saving Mr. Banks, I think

29. What one thing made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

HG, same as always. They are my family, my best friends, and one of the few things I can count on in this world. I love those people more than I could ever put into words.

30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?

Does She Even Own Real Clothes or is She an Actual Hermit.

31. What kept you sane?

HG. URec Group Fitness. A couple of really amazing people.

32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most.

Ben & Jerry.

33. What political issue stirred you the most?

There were several. But mostly how we choose to focus on menial things that mean nothing when there are a thousand things that matter to discuss.

34. Who did you miss?

Last year's answer still stands. There are many, many people. The thing is that once you are a part of my life, you will always be, and a part of me will always hope you are doing well, and miss you being here. But with that I add, I may not want the current version of you. I may just be really fond of who and how things used to be.

35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.

That happiness is up to you. You create who you want to be in the world. That you really can cut people from your life if they are toxic to you, and it doesn't mean you hold a grudge. It means you are big enough to know how to let go. I think the biggest thing I'm learning, though is that sometimes, you just have to be brave enough to start over.

36. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

"But I found peace with the path I took, as I lay down my head. Crossroads you gotta choose, which way do we win or lose. But every bone in my soul says I sing on through. Cause I believe that I, was born with a song inside of me. Never question why, I just keep on singing these melodies. As time goes by, it's funny how time can make you realize, we're running out of it. On the day that I die, I want to say that I was a man who really lived and never compromised."

Comments