I'll be there for you.

Being 'there for someone' can look a lot different to different people, don't you think?

It is a hard lesson to learn. That just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean that they don't love you at all. Sometimes we expect more from people because we would be willing to do that much for them. But that is not the way to live life. You miss out on so many relationships that way.

But there is something I want you to know. I want you to know that when I say that I'm there for you, I mean it with every last ounce of my being. It isn't a half-hearted promise, spoken to pacify the listener. No, this runs far deeper than that. When I say that I'm there for you, it means at 2am when the tears stain your pillow. It means at 8:45 when your car breaks down and you need a ride to work. It means at 1pm when the weight of the day is already crushing you. I'm there. When joy fills you to overflowing and you must share. I'm there. When I say that I'm there for you, it means always. It means in every moment, every situation. I'm a phone call, car ride, arms length away. I'm there.

However, friend, there is something else you must know. I may not know what to say to you when I come. I have a tendency to stumble over my words. I am really good at saying the exact wrong thing. So, in order to avoid that, I may not say anything at all. But I'll hold you. I'll hold your hand and stroke your hair as you cry on my shoulder. I'll sit with you in the waiting room when you are anxious to hear the news. I'll cry tears of joy as a dream comes true. I'll be there, arms open. Always. I'll do whatever it is I can to make it work for you.

And also, one last thing. Please don't feel bad about calling on me. Because that is the beautiful thing about friendship... it goes both ways. There will be a time when I need someone... when I need you. There will be tear-streaked 2am's where I'll need a hand to reach to in the dark. And I hope that I can count on you. Because when I say that I'm there for you, I mean it with every last ounce of my being.

Love,
Sarah

Comments