A New Year's Eve (Eve) Reflection on 2011.

Heyy, old friend. I've missed you.

20 Questions for a New Year's Eve Reflection

1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?
Well, that's hard to choose. I've had a lot of good happen to me this year, all completely undeserved. But probably the best thing to happen was that I learned how to survive. I learned how to trust, and how to hope, and how to be held when I couldn't hold on anymore. They are moment-by-moment lessons, but they are lessons that I am beyond grateful for.

2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
I've struggled pretty hard this year emotionally. It's been rough, but I'm still here. Just taking life a moment at a time. Hopefully, this will work out soon!

3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?
The huge amount of joy that I get from being a part of the HGF family is something I never could have imagined. Zumba class may sound just ordinary or kind of silly, but it's not like that at all... it's so, so much more than that there. I've gained an amazing family that supports me in ways that I'd never felt supported before, and I'm getting healthy at the same time. It's a huge stress reliever, and it's an entire hour that I don't have to be present in the 'real world'. They make me feel like I belong somewhere, and that's so much more than I ever thought I would have. It's one of the biggest gifts I've ever received. If you want to come, let me know. Because you definitely should!

4. What was an unexpected obstacle?
I didn't really expect to have the medical struggles I've had this year. I've been through a lot medically, from thyroid to ear to GI to back issues, my body's been through it. But, it's sticking with me, and I'm lucky to have an amazing team of doctors by my side.


5. Pick three words to describe 2011.
Beautiful, Worthwhile, Changing.

6. Pick three words your spouse/best friend would use to describe your 2011 (don't ask them;
guess based on how you think they see you).
Difficult, Fabulous, Different.

7. Pick three words your spouse/best friend would use to describe their 2011 (again, without
asking).
New, Challenging, Hopeful.

8. What were the best books you read this year?
I actually slacked off on my reading this year... :/ With school, I just haven't had any time! But, I read The Help by Katherine Stockett. It was fabulous, and I recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it or seen the movie. It fills in a lot of holes for the movie, so you need to read it. I also read Tour de Force by Elizabeth White. If you have any sort of a passion for Dance or for God, read this book. It's fantastic. I have it, and you can definitely borrow it from me. Right now I'm reading a Sarah Dessen book. She's my favorite author ever. If you haven't read any of her work, you have to. I recommend reading all of her books. (:

9. With whom were your most valuable relationships?
Probably my family. We've gotten a lot closer this year. And, as we know, family can be acquired. So, my acquired family is definitely included in this. My best friends and my HGF family, along with my studio family have kept me going this year. They bless me so much more than they know!

10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
I cut loose a lot this year. I stopped being so uptight, and started living my life. I started to be me, and do what I knew would make me happy, rather than try to please everyone else on the face of planet earth. I've learned a lot about how to say no, and how to just be every now and then. It's funny what you learn when you aren't really looking for a lesson.

11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
I struggled a lot emotionally, as I mentioned earlier. I've fought some pretty rough battles with myself this year. There have been a lot of sleepless nights in 2011. But each of these nights has taught me many lessons. I've learned a lot about passion, and the fact that I'm passionate about a lot of things. Loving intensely all the time can be difficult, but I've found that it's worth it. This year has marked the beginning of me learning how to stand on my own two feet emotionally. I've got a long way to go, but I'm trying.

12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?
God and I are in a new place this year. I've learned that my faith is not based in 'church', but rather in a real, loving, exciting, surprising, faithful God. I've been mad, so very mad, but every time He brings me back. He's surprised me in ways that I never could have imagined, and he's made me giggle a time or two. He's my Daddy, and regardless of what goes on in the institution of 'church', we're going to make it through. Together. Because I can't do it without Him.

13. In what way(s) did you grow physically?
I'm becoming a healthier person. I exercise more than I ever have, and I'm eating a more healthy, balanced diet. The scales don't move much, but I feel healthier, I'm stronger, and I'm losing inches! So, I'm very excited. This is also a goal of 2012 for me-- to continue the journey!

14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?
I've become more intentional about investing in people this year. I try my best make sure people understand how wonderful they are because that's an easy thing to forget. I've spent so many years believing that I'm un-wonderful, and I'm working like heck to make sure that no one else feels that way. Not on my watch, anyway. Everyone deserves someone to remind them that they are beautiful, wonderful, smart, kind, and more important than they could imagine. If someone does something that changes me, I make sure that they know it. People need to be made aware of the good that they do in the world, and I feel like no one ever talks about that. So, I do. I remind people that they are fabulous, and loved. At least by me. I know that isn't much, but it's what I can offer. I tell people good morning, and I make sure I say 'I appreciate YOU' rather than just 'I appreciate it', because that is two completely different things. I've seen so many people regret not telling someone something before they died, and I'm not going to do that. I'm going to make sure that people know how I feel about them. So many people feel like the world has walked out on them, that everyone has given up on them, and that they aren't even worth it anymore. I know that feeling all too well. I made it my goal to make sure that other people don't have to feel that way. I don't want to be just another person that gave up on whoever. No, I want to be the person that never gives up on anyone. I believe in miracles, and people surprise you. Now... exit soapbox. Sorry!

15. What was the most enjoyable part of your work (Both professionally and at home)?
The most enjoyable part of school for me has been band, by far. Those people make that 7 hour day Monday-Friday worth getting up for. I adored being Drum Major. I got to know and invest in so many people and lives that way. It was wonderful. And ending the season with a Grand Champion? More amazing than I could have wished for! As far as home goes, I haven't been here much. But love it when I am. I love my family, crazy as we may be. It's never a dull moment here (:

16. What was the most challenging part of your work (Both professionally and at home)?
The most challenging part of school is dealing with people who have no sense. Like at all. It amazes me, actually. How does one acquire the ability to have no sense? I guess we'll never know. And people that have no regard for others. How can you not care about another human being, and how can you be so rude all the time?! That's another mystery to me. At home, it can be a little difficult because by the time we all arrive here, we're exhausted, and there's not much time left in the day. But, we make it work!

17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
The computer. Between social networking and researching photog techniques, I've probably spent days on this thing. It's a great tool, but I intend to cut back drastically.

18. What was the best way you used your time this past year?
Investing in people. If you want to know why I do it, go back to number 14. And being able to serve and help my community and the world around me has been a huge blessing in my time this year.

19. What was the biggest thing you learned this past year?
I learned that life moves quickly, and if you don't live in the day-to-day moments, you lose them. I've learned that loneliness isn't forever. I've learned that wishing on stars doesn't solve the problem, but it sure does give you hope. I've learned that it's okay to hope. I've learned that life throws curve balls, and that you have to be ready to swing as they come. I've learned that life is happening, right this very second, and I don't want to miss out on it.

20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2011 for you.
This year has been amazing and beautiful. When all of the joy and heartache come together, we come up with a glorious stained glass window that will now be used as filter the rest of my life. I've both learned and taught, laughed and cried, sang and danced, written and spoken. I've experienced new things, places, and people. And I've lost many of those same things that were dear to my heart. This year has helped shape me, and make me who I am to become one day. Thank you, 2011. I'll never, ever forget you♥


Love,
Sarah

Comments