2011, What a Year it has been.

When I was little, I never believed it when people said that the older you got, the more quickly time began to pass. But boy, were they right. I literally feel like I just rang in 2011, and now it's almost over! Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans, right? I guess that's been proven to me. Last year, I attempted to sum up the major happenings of 2010, and it was fun to look back on this year. So, I'm doing it again. Here's your year in a flash: Part 2.

2011, a year of struggles.
Six people were killed when a man named Jared Loughner began shooting outside of a political event in Arizona. One of his bullets landed in the skull of Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, who held the entire country's attention through her miraculous recovery. Several more lives were lost due to an insane amount of natural disasters including flooding in Australia and Brazil, and a devastating earthquake in Japan that almost collapsed the entire country. Another, much smaller earthquake centered in Virginia was felt all the way here in North Carolina. That Earthquake put a crack in the foundation of the Washington monument, which is now closed to visitors. Several devastating tornadoes tore through the southern US, leaving thousands with nothing. Our entire world was held enraptured by the news of protests in Egypt this year. Facebook and other social networking sites were used as a political instigator and caused an entire country to be cut from world communication. Eventually, the Egyptian president resigned, and major changes began to take place all over that part of the world. Libya and Syria began to have revolts and uprisings that also captured the attention of the world. Resounding shouts of joy were heard all around as a headline broke announcing the death of terrorist leader, Osama Bin Laden. He was hunted for nine and a half years, and his death was long awaited by many. Life as we knew it will be no more... it's for sure, nothing will ever be the same again.

2011, a year of advancement.
With every year that passes, the things people come up with blows my mind. From medical science that is curing more and more diseases than ever before, to technological science that is able to create the iPhone 4s. Do you know what that does? It allows you to TALK into your phone, ask it a question, and receive the answer. Just like that. Seriously?! That's insanity. People have come up with interactive mirrors, paint that can be used as magnets, white boards, and chalk boards. Facebook has taken over the world, and is being used more than any other social networking site. It's insane the amount of achievements that have been accomplished in the past year!

2011, a year of goodbyes.
This year, we've lost many. The recent death of Kim Jong-il caught the world by surprise, and has left us with much uncertainty for the future of one of the members of our global community. One of the greatest minds of all time, inventor and entrepreneur Steve Jobs, left behind one of the largest legacies ever. He invented one of the most well-known and used product lines in history that continues to change technology as we know it. If you know anything about the world of jazz, you're probably aware that the jazz world lost one of its legends, Sam Rivers. The world of journalism lost the great Tom Wicker from the New York Times family. You know that pink ribbon that you relate to breast cancer awareness? Well, that is partly due to the late Evelyn Lauder, who also helped found Estee Lauder. The famous British singer Amy Winehouse had a tragic death at the age of 27. Ever heard of Sherwood Schwartz? I hadn't either, but I definitely know his work. He's the man that created The Brady Bunch as well as Gilligan's Island! Another great mind that 2011 saw part from this world.

2011, a year of milestones.
This year, so much has changed. The past is no more, but life is meant for that. What would we do if it all remained the same? Well, this year we saw many movements begin that instigated huge change. From the On September 17, Occupy Wall Street was born and is now a major cause supported all over the country. The whole world watched as the fairytale wedding of Britain's royal Prince William and Kate Middleton sent all girls back into the princess dreams of childhood. The United States took a moment to pause and reflect on an event that changed our country forever... 9/11. This year marked the 10 year anniversary, and the new memorial sitting where the twin towers once were opened up. The space shuttle Atlantis touched down at the Kennedy space center, marking the end of the US space shuttle program. The Cardinals beat out the Rangers for the World Series title. Our country has officially marked an end to the Iraq war. So many huge happenings.

2011, a year of experiences.
This year held a lot of firsts for me. I got to travel out of the US on a cruise with one of my very best friends, Chelsea. We cruised Carnival and we took a jeep tour of Cozumel, Mexico, went cave tubing in Belize, visited Hell, a turtle farm, and a sting ray bay in Grand Cayman, and a beautiful beach in Honduras! I also went on a fabulous band trip to NYC in the spring! Band as I knew it came to a halt as our beloved director of 25 years resigned his position and took a job at the middle school. We got a new director, which instituted a lot of change and new experiences, but we got so lucky. We have a new fantastic director that has helped make my senior year fantastic. I ended my high school marching career with two first place trophies, including one at App, and one at North Davidson where we also won Grand Champion! And how were we rewarded? With a broken down bus, of course! Fantastic times. I went to prom with a fabulous group of people, and applied and got accepted to several colleges. I completed a Lent season where I gave up Tea, Soda, and Facebook. I met and gained a fantastic family at Hickory Girls Fitness, where I became involved in the biggest most amazing dance party with Zumba. Those people have been my motivation, my safe haven, and my favorite part of the week for the several months I've been involved with them. I love them more than words! I've become more serious about my photography. I've hurt more than I thought I would, but I've also experienced the most intense joy I've ever had either. Tears and hugs, laughter and hope. This year's been amazing. It blows my mind to think of how different I am now from what I was this time a year ago. I'm excited about it!

2012, a year of opportunity.
In a short time, we will stand with friends and family gathered around us and ring in yet another year. So hard to believe that 2012 is actually here. I've waited for this year for a long time. It's the year I begin an entire new chapter in my life, and I'm scared to death. But I'm also thrilled. It's going to be amazing, wonderful, unexpected, and changing. This time of year is a tradition to us now. We expect the falling ball, the crowds, the kisses, the time of excitement. It never gets old, you know? What are we going to do with this clean slate we have in front of us? We have 365 days awaiting us to be filled with memories and moments. What will we put in each of them? It's our choice! How thrilling. As far as resolutions goes, I have several. The usual cliche ones, sure: Work on being healthier. Be happier. Love more. Take more pictures. Write more. Pray more. Read more. Worry less. Stress less. Waste less time. Invest in people more. But my main resolution? I want to live this year. I want to savor every single moment possible, and live each second to its fullest. I want to work on some of my bucket list. I want to meet and love as many people as possible.

So, I guess that's it. 2011, you've been amazing. It's been a struggle at times, but a joy more often than not. I'm going to look back on you and smile, that's for sure. Thank you for everything you've been for me, and for wrapping me up and holding me inside your days. Thanks for never giving up on me, and for carrying me through the rough patches. Let's always remember to hope and dream and aspire to be the best we can be, whenever we can be. Let's be thankful for what we have, and for whatever may come our way this year. 2012, please don't disappoint. Please be the year my dreams and wishes come true.

Let's go into 2012 taking the advice of Ralph Waldo Emerson and "Write it on your heart that every day is going to be the best day of the year." Here we go... cheers to the coming year... cheers to the best year yet!

Love,
Sarah

Comments

  1. Hey ... I didn't see my wedding listed on this list!!! It was the day after the Royal Wedding!!! Love you!!!! I can't believe that this time next year you will be a freshman in college... you have grown into a beautiful Godly young lady!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment