Writing Prompts

Okay, so I'm definitely NOT a future author or anything even close, but I do enjoy writing some! And I follow this blog that does these writing prompt things every few weeks. I've done some, so I thought I'd share(: The prompt is in bold, and then you have to build the opening 100 words from that. Hope you enjoy!

1. I never thought I'd come back, yet here I am. It’s been years, and yet everything seems to be exactly how I left it. A flood of memories washed over me in a single instant—from the porch swing with the peeling paint to the crack in the windowsill and the familiar scent of lavender drifting along in the spring breeze—it was as though I were sixteen years old again. I remember the last time I was standing in this very place…the day I left. I was angry, peeling out of the drive with the rear-view mirror torn off and no intention of ever returning…

My thoughts were suddenly interrupted as the door opened before me.

“Mom,” I whispered, “I’m home.”


2. It had been 4 years, but still the memory lingered. So often I slip back into that day… the sunshine was warm as we sat and talked. I still remember her infectious laugh and the way that her nose would crinkle, smashing together her delicate spread of freckles until they appeared to be no more than a single line drawing even more attention to her stunning sapphire eyes. Even though we looked nothing alike, it never crossed our minds that we might not actually be sisters. I suppose that is why it came as such a shock when they came for her. I never knew that it would take nothing more than one sentence to take my whole world away from me.

“Princess Grace,” the tall, dark figure announced, “the time has come… your country needs you now.”


3. When he heard the voice on the other end of the line, he knew he shouldn't have answered the phone. That voice was so distinct, it sent a chill up his spine. He could have picked it out anywhere.

“Hello, Son. I’ve missed you.” It took every ounce of his being not to slam the phone back onto the receiver.

“Hello, Dad. What can I do for you?” All business, that was the way to go. Why today, of all days, did this have to happen? It was his big day, the day he was hoping would bring that big promotion he had been striving for, and the day he was finally going to ask the love of his life to marry him.


4. When I opened the door, I could hardly believe what I saw. My pulse quickened along with my pace as I entered the room before me. I don’t know why I was so nervous. After all, I had signed the papers myself. When they had asked me, I was the one that said yes; I was the one that had wanted to see her. Before I realized it, the gaping expanse of the room that had once stood before me was now reduced to nothing. As I lifted my head, my gaze slowly fell onto the most beautiful face I had ever seen… the face of my daughter. It didn’t matter then, what I had said before. All I knew was that I could not let them take her from me.


5. When I saw what they'd brought home from the garage sale,I cringed. Mom’s eyes were bright and shining as she and her soon-to-be-husband, Brad, gushed over the box before her.

“Oh, honey! Isn’t this exciting? I suppose we are lucky that the Donnovan’s have to move…” I tuned her out at this point and my attention turned to Brad. He wasn’t my favorite, but he really was a nice guy, and at least he loved my mom. My thoughts were quickly drawn back in as she finished her monologue,

“…and we’re going to all be so happy!” She took the last of the baby clothes out of the box. I suppose this is it. Like it or not, tomorrow we become a family of four.

Comments

  1. Sarah, once again, you are so very talented...please write a short story or a book. You've got a gift, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment