Five Minute Friday

Sorry, yall. I've been so slack in writing lately. Life has just gotten SUPER crazy, and I have to find some other time to breathe. But today, my heart is full of words that I can't exactly figure out how to release. My heart is full to the point of, if I receive any more news any time soon it might just burst. Great lead in to five minute Friday, right?

Today's Topic:
Deep breath.

GO.

As I stepped onto the stage as the hundred or so before myself had done, it all came back to me.

"Wait, what was it you just said?" It seems as though the world has refused to keep spinning, my heart stops beating inside of my chest. I couldn't have heard him right. There's no way.

"Sarah, I'm so sorry my dear, but when we biopsied today we found malignant...cancerous... cells from your thyroid that have invaded the node, causing it to inflame. We're not sure how extensively the tumor has grown, but we do know that we need to operate and remove your thyroid as soon as possible."

It was then that the tears sprang to my eyes. This wasn't fair. I was only 11 years old, I wasn't supposed to be getting this type of news. Not now, not when everything was going well and I was having a good time. Not now when my best friend was leaving. This shouldn't be happening. I didn't even care who was in the room, I cried. I had just come out of surgery and now they tell me that I must come back in no more than a month? My breath was caught somewhere far down deep into my chest and refused to leave my body.

That was five years ago. Five years of walking down this road, of going from being a victim to a survivor. I never imagined so much beauty could come from so much pain. I never thought God would use my story in as many ways as He has, and I pray that He continues to do so for the rest of my life.

Finally, it's my turn at the microphone. Deep breath...

"Sarah Luckadoo, Thyroid Cancer, five years." Words have never tasted any sweeter.

STOP.

Comments

  1. I'm SO behind on my blog reading (and writing!) but had to read this one. I am so proud of you and know more than most how significant those words are. Way to go! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment