If I Ever Have A Daughter

If I ever have a daughter, one of the first things I am going to do is to buy her a pair of rain boots because I want her to learn from the very beginning that life isn't about simply getting through, but rather dancing in the rain.

I'm going to teach her how to play ball because goodness knows she's going to get enough curveballs in her lifetime.

And one day, when she's wondering about the meaning of life, I'm going to answer her with one word: Moments. I'm going to tell her that life is about savoring and stringing together every single moment to create a lifetime worth remembering.

I'm going to make sure she knows that even though people will hurt her, mislead her, and betray her, she must keep loving and trusting and forgiving, for relationships are what life is made of.

And Babygirl, I'll tell her, sometimes you have to sit through the dark to understand how breathtaking the light really is.

And when she reaches the age of princesses and pirate ships and fairies and big dreams, I'm going to tell her to hold on to that. Keep that wonder and imagination, and don't you dare let anyone take it from you.

Because people will try to hand you terrible things like cynicism, war, bitterness, and hate, but you just keep holding on to that joy you have when you turned five years old.

Don't ever apologize for being who you are. Your eyes are wide and bright and your smile is beautiful and even though your voice may be small, never stop speaking out, because that's what makes you who you are.

There will be things that break, but that's why I'll always keep an ample supply of bandaids, duct tape, and ice cream because there is nothing that can't be fixed by those three.

Okay, maybe there are a couple of things that can't be fixed by those three but that's why I've always kept the rain boots around because "the rain has this beautiful way of washing away everything if you let it."

I hope she always knows that she's a superhero, but even the best superheroes don't have to wear the cape alone.

And she's going to try to fix things for everyone, but I'm going to tell her no matter how far you stretch out your arms they will never be long enough to hold all of that pain that you want to heal.

Belive me, I've tried.

I'm going to tell her to always be the kind of friend she wants to gain because only then will she gain the type of friends she wants to be.

I'm going to buy her a pair of ballet shoes because I want her to know that life is much more fun when you begin dancing through it.

Baby, I'll say, I hope that you know how very long I've waited to see your face. People may say that they knew you before you were even thought about but that isn't true because you've always been a part of me; you've been somewhere in the back of my mind for as long as I can remember.

There will be days that seem messy, but I want her to understand that happiness isn't about having everything be perfect but rather accepting the things that aren't and will never be.
And finally, I'm going to hold her close and I'm going to make sure that above all else in this world... above all of the life-lessons, and joyful moments... I want her to know that she is

So. Very. Loved.

Comments

  1. Sarah, I'm catching up on STLT - I LOVE this post so much. It made me cry. I find it absolutely impossible to believe that you could capture 99% of what I want for my own little girl before you are even a mommy yourself. You are so precious and a very gifted writer, girlfriend. Don't stop!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment