2010, What a year it has been.

2010. Can you believe it's over? In so many ways it feels like we were just now putting away our noisemakers, hats, and funny glasses that read '2010! Happy New Year!' But that was a full year ago. It's so hard to believe sometimes. Almost like we blink, and there it goes. But then I think back to events that have taken place and it seems nearly impossible that they have occurred within the last 12 months, and not several years ago. Time can be funny that way. It can go by in an instant... one blink.... but then again it can stretch and stretch, going on forever.

2010, a year of struggles.
From the unemployment rate continuing to grow, to the earthquake in Haiti; the political crisis in Thailand, to the debt crisis in Europe; the oil spill in the gulf, to the flooding in Pakistan. This year hit many very hard, and has changed our world forever. Many lives were lost, or permanently changed, but none ever forgotten. Through every struggle, every battle our world has had to fight... we've come out stronger as a species, stronger as people. We can do this.

2010, a year of advancement.
From medical breakthroughs that would blow your mind, to the iPad, it's insane the things we've come out with. New cures, new treatments, and new testing. Stem-cell research and the genome project have reached far into new heights, and more and more lives are saved each day. The iPhone4 and the iPad were both released, things that we never even imagined could exist a few years ago. Google Chrome has become a part of our vocabulary. Smart cars are no longer a rare sight going down the road. Just think, what else are we capable of?!

2010, a year of goodbyes.
We said goodbye to many, many people through natural disasters. We lost loved ones in wars and even close to home, as in the case of Zahra Baker, the sweet little girl who was discovered merely weeks ago. We said goodbye to many iconic faces, like Gary Colman, JD Salinger, John McCallum, Alexander McQueen, Jim Bibby, Peter Graves, Lech Kazcynski, and Dennis Hopper. We may have said goodbye for now, but the memories will last a lifetime.

2010, a year of milestones.
This year, our President declared an end to Iraq combat, and promised to bring our troops home, and the elections have declared a turnover in the house. Elections all over the world have changed how things will be done, and have changed the future of many countries forever. Spain is now the holder of the World Cup, and the Giants won the World Series. The entire world held their breath as 33 Chilean miners were pulled to safety after being trapped for three whole months.

2010, a year of experiences.
It's been a year of new things. I got my first car, made many new friends, got my drivers license, went to my first prom, managed my first Relay for Life team, got my first job, and so much more. I got to experience trying and failing, but also trying and succeeding. I got to direct the band for the first time, and I got to know tons of new people through being the Drum Major. I got to spend time with my family and friends. I was blessed to be able to go to Caswell for the first time, and return to Arnoldsburg, WVA with one of the best youth groups ever. I became a glee addict. I saw the sun rise and set 365 different times, each day bringing with it new opportunity. I learned to be thankful for what I have, and to never forget to smile. There were tears, and hurts, and fears, and times I really didn't know if I'd make it... but, here I stand! The color purple and the word hope became even more dear to my heart and life. I'm in a new place with God, and I'm loving watching as he moves through my life. I got to dance in an amazing recital, and it was bittersweet to say goodbye to many of my friends as they moved on to college and a new chapter in their lives. I've seen more snow than I'd ever care to see again, even though it was quite amazing to experience my first White Christmas! I learned a lot about myself, and even more about others. I learned a lot about trust. I'm not the same person sitting here now that I was on December 31, 2009, but I wouldn't change a thing about who I've become, and who I am becoming. I'm a blessed work in progress!

2011, a year of opportunity.
In just a few hours, we'll stand together with friends and family and count our way into a brand new year. It's one of those moments that we've come to expect, yet each year it seems to hold the same amount of excitement. A new year. What will we do with it? Will we invent something new, cure a disease, or fall in love? Will we welcome someone new into the world, or sadly see someone part from it? We never really know, do we? But that's what makes it so exciting. This year has the potential to be the best year yet. It's all up to us... it's all in our hands. And in accordance with it being a New Year, of course I've made several resolutions. Don't you want to hear them? Okay, I'll tell you!
1. To take a picture a day.
2. To write a thank you note a day (inspired by this article... it's awesome)
3. To remain healthy. Not to lose weight, or gain muscle, because I often get frustrated with those goals, but simply to remain healthy.
4. To spend time in my Bible every single day.
5. To be the best person that I could be, and to do my best in all I commit to.

There's more, of course, but I won't bore you with that. So here it is. Goodbye, 2010. We will surely miss you, but are so very glad that you came. You've given us memories that will last a lifetime, things that have changed not only us, but our world, forever. And as we usher in a new year; a year full of new hopes, dreams, aspirations, goals, and more... let us remember to be thankful for what we have. To smile, and hug, whenever possible. And always, always remember this: that life is about stringing together the little things, letting those add up and count for more than the bad stuff. To remember all the small things, for one day, you might look back and realize... those were the big things.

Love,
Sarah

Comments