Pocket Moment♥

This past Saturday was definitely a pocket moment (in case you don't already have one, let's get a working definition of pocket moment- One of those amazing times that you never want to forget that you can store away in your 'pocket' and pull out on one of those not-so-fabulous days to remind you that life isn't really as terrible as it may seem in the present moment.) and it was a day I will cherish forever.

It was our last band competition of the season, which is always so bittersweet. It's the last time putting on a show that has been a long time in the making, something you've basically given your life to since the beginning of August. It makes you want to treasure every single moment of that last performance, because you know that once you hit the final horns down, that's it. Marching season will be over. But you also can look back, all the way back to the first time we marched a form until now, and it's amazing how far we've come. And yes, I cried when we finished! At this final competition, Mr. Neely decided to bump us up a class to AAA, which means we would be competing against bands with 20+ horn line on us, making it that much more difficult to place in the final awards. We had a solid performance, one to most definitely be proud of, but we knew by watching the other bands that it was going to be difficult, because they were all so very good. Finally, after a long evening of watching bands, getting food, and attempting (most of the time, to no avail!) to keep warm, it was time for awards. Since it was the last competition, all of the Seniors got to come to the field with the leadership team to go accept our awards. It was Olympic style judging, with four classes. The first caption announced was Drum Major. When they announced 'Second place, Southpoint High School!' I kind of deflated inside. The two other bands in our class had two drum majors, and that usually means a higher score since you have to match each other. I was like 'Dang, I didn't even place in my last competition of the season. This really stinks, I hate I let my band down like that.' So imagine the look of utter SHOCK as they announced 'First Place, FOARD HIGH SCHOOL!' It even took me a minute to realize that they hadn't said Bunker Hill or Hickory High school, and then I think my jaw literally hit the floor! I've never been so excited in my whole life! It was so amazing, excited doesn't even begin to cover my emotion. I hadn't gotten first all year long, and I finally won! It was the best feeling ever... a moment in time that I will keep with me forever and ever. And then, as if the night wasn't good enough already, we got second place horn-line! Finally, they announced rating trophies, and the only two superiors were Foard and Bunker Hill. The final awards were placement, and we knew the first place trophy would be between the two of us. When they announced 'Second place, Bunker Hill High School!' Our entire leadership team was about to jump out of our skin! 'First place, Foard High School!' HECK YES!!!! WE WON! We beat the other bands that were much bigger than we were, all that hard work and effort paid off, and we all got to go receive our trophy. It was a fabulous night, and by far the best end to an amazing season. I'm so proud and so blessed to have been a part of the 2010 Marching Tigers. They are my family, and I love each and every one of them so much! Throughout this season, I have seen myself change into a completely different person than when we first began, and this competition shows that. At first, I was not a very good conductor, but as the season progressed, I have gotten much better and am a much better DM. I've met tons of new people, and have gained some of my greatest friendships. I'm SO blessed!




Comments

  1. YAYYYYYYYYYYY, Sarah!!!! You deserve it, lady :)

    (Every time I scroll through your blog, I want to "like" every post! You should add a button ;) )

    Love you!

    K

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment