Lessons I'm learning.

Lessons that have hit me lately. Have I learned them? Not completely. But I'm definitely working towards them. Read if you wish, but you don't have to. (:

1. The importance of letting your voice be heard. When I had my thyroid taken out in February of 2006, the surgeon also removed my right vocal cord nerve, paralyzing half of my vocal cords. It was a good six months before I could do anything more than whisper, and even then, it was difficult for me to muster up the strength to have a normal speaking voice, and it wouldn't last long. Yelling, singing, laughing... all things that were so natural became something I had to fight my own body to do. It's been four years now, and I almost have a full range voice back. I still struggle with gaining volume, and I absolutely cannot sing at all (I'm pretty sure I could never sing, though ;) ) but I'm much better off than I was. I've fought hard to have a voice... my voice. And I'm not going to let anyone take that from me. Speaking isn't something we really think much about, you know? It just happens. But like other things, we realize what we have when we miss it. My literal voice being taken away and rebuilt has been such a metaphor for my spiritual voice. There have been so many times when I lost my voice, hid away, didn't say anything. And now, I've fought hard for that too. And I'm most definitely going to keep it.

2. I am beautiful. God says so. He told me... "For you were fearfully and wonderfully made." The God that imagined the moon and stars and the sun created me. The hands that fashioned the entirety of creation formed my very features... every last one. And he doesn't make mistakes. He knew what I had to offer to the world, and He found it of enough value to place me where I am. If He found me important enough to create, than shouldn't I have that same respect for myself? I'm not going to let anyone make me feel inferior, or small, or unimportant. I have something to offer the world... I have a difference to make, or I wouldn't be here. I'm special, one of a kind, my own kind of rare. You don't find anyone else exactly like me, and you won't. If anyone, or anything makes me feel any less than that, then they aren't worth a lick of my time. Not. At. All. The one that matters is enthralled by me, and who I am, and what I am. He created me for a perfect purpose, my job is to listen and follow as he leads.

3. I am a Princess. God's Princess. I deserve to be treated with respect, to be revered, to be cherished. Some day, someone is going to be lucky to get to spend the rest of their lives by my side, and they should appreciate that kind of luck. With the same regards, I'm going to be super lucky to spend my life with someone else who is equally as special and wonderful, and I really will not let them forget it. They will definitely know that they are loved, and respected, and wanted. Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't play on their emotions, or abuse the love that they give you. If someone is willing to spend their own time and effort on your happiness, don't walk all over them just because you know they'll always be there, no matter how many times you do it. You never know when they might surprise you.

4. Worrying solves nothing. It just puts you in a bad mood. So, why do it? The outcome will remain the same whether or not you worry about it. Let the small stuff roll off, just enjoy your life. You're only here once, and when you're 96, you don't want to look back on a lifetime of bitterness and worry, but instead, joy, peace, happiness. Cherish those around you, even if they are only in your life for a short amount of time. Make the best of the situation, and then move on. Don't harbor the past, but sail freely. Keep that joy in your heart.

5. There's a huge difference in being the best and being your best. Being the best... well that's all a matter of opinion. But being your best, well that's something no one can argue with.

6. Being courteous is classy. It will never go out of style, and people will love you for it. So don't be a jerk, don't cut someone off, don't slam a door in their face. Just be sweet, and polite, and have some manners. It'll get you so much farther than you think.

7. Love more than you think you should. It's true, with love comes risk, and you very well may end up hurt. But in order to receive love, you must be willing to give it as well. And have a little faith, not everyone you love is going to leave you.

8. Remind people how much they mean to you. You never know when you won't have that opportunity again, and that's something you don't want to regret. Ever. Show them you care, tell them you love them over and over again. Even if it's just a friend, show them that they mean something to you. Being appreciated is so important to everyone.

9. Do what you love. If you're doing something you hate, change it. Love what you do on a daily basis. If you love what you're doing, it will never be monotonous. You'll laugh more, and you'll have a spark in your eye and a spring in your step.

10. I'm never going to be perfect. There will always be things I simply cannot, and will never be able to do. But that's okay. I'm here, and I'm me, and that's what really matters!

Comments