Moments...

There is something that I've really become aware of lately, and it's the importance of moments in life. I know it's my patent saying, but life really isn't about the big things. When we come to the end of our life, we aren't going to remember the days, we're going to remember the moments. The little laughs here, the smiles there, the hugs, the conversation, the shared meals, the walks in the park, the family times... these are the things we will look back on some day. I've come to realize that there are times when we must pause, even for just a moment, and forget the rest of the world. We are offered far too many ordinary days, and when something extraordinary comes along, albeit small or fleeting, we must pause and drink it in with all of the power we have, savoring it while it lasts, or else we will lose it. Regardless of how much you may have to worry about, take a few seconds to enjoy the small things. Let the sun shine on your face, and forget about those bills waiting at home. Enjoy each bite of your ice cream, and forget about that mound of laundry waiting to be washed. Count the stars, and put your organizing to rest for a few seconds. That's what life is about, isn't it?

There are days like today where there were so many moments I want to treasure up and hold in my heart forever. Moments like today are what get me through all of the tomorrows that come my way. School was school... nothing really happened. Then, I was getting ready to leave and one of the guard girls, Emily, needed a ride to practice, so I took her. As we rode, having fun conversations with the sun shining down on my face... the world felt just right, like it was okay for once to just pause and enjoy those few seconds, however fleeting they may be. So we get to the church early along with the other girls, and we played improv games until their instructor came. It was SO much fun! We acted completely crazy, and it felt amazing to laugh that hard. There would be four people acting something out, and then one of the others would yell 'freeze!' and everyone would stay frozen where they were. The person that froze everyone else would step in and take someone's place and begin a whole new skit, and you'd just have to roll with it. It was hilarious. After that, I ran home to quickly change clothes, and then went over to the dance studio. Our modern instructor (also the guard instructor), Anne, had to stay at guard practice because our director couldn't be there, so I covered her first class. It was SO much fun! It was combining the two things I am most passionate about: dance and being with kids! We had an awesome time. I sat in her second class, the intermediate level, and we had a blast. The kids are so sweet and funny, and it's amazing to watch them improve from week to week! In between then and her next class, we ate our weekly dinner. I know how silly it seems, but I have come to look forward to this so much every single week. We (Anne and I) alternate who brings dinner for the week. It's such a blessing to get to spend this time at the Studio with the people I love most. And then, it's time for Modern Class!!! It is, by far, one of the best classes I have ever taken, and my favorite time of the week. Dance is so many things to me. It's expression, hope, control, release, family, escape, beauty, and so much more than I can even form into words. The girls in my class are my family, my sisters, and I would be lost without them. They are what keeps me going some days, and what can always, regardless of circumstances, bring a smile to my face. Every moment in the Studio, every second suspended in air or spinning in circles, every lacing up of pointe shoes, and every laugh that rings in the air... they are jewels. These are the jewels I long to keep stored up inside my memory treasure box. I know many will escape me, but many will remain in my heart forever. After all, these are the moments we will remember for the rest of our lives, and I'm going to make them count.

‎"The next time you look into the mirror, just look at the way the ears rest next to the head; look at the way the hairline grows; think of all the little bones in your wrist. It is a miracle. And the dance is a celebration of that miracle." -Martha Graham♥

Love,
Sarah♥

Comments

Post a Comment